Sunday, January 16, 2011

Getting over the word psychic

I've had a rough ride on the psychic train. I often think about what other term I can use to define my abilities because of the connotations I associate with the word psychic. My unease probably stems from lifetimes of abuse, torture, persecution and even from high school where I was labeled as a fortune teller and a witch. Most often people associate it only with an ability to see the future. All of this together has made me shy away from this label. My teacher often has me look up words to reconnect with their true meanings. I've been wanting to make business cards and struggling with what to put on them so a trip to the dictionary was definitely in order. Here's what it said about the word psychic:


World English Dictionary
psychic  (ˈsaɪkɪk) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]
 
adj
1. a. outside the possibilities defined by natural laws, as mental telepathy
 b. (of a person) sensitive to forces not recognized by natural laws
2. mental as opposed to physical; psychogenic
3. bridge  (of a bid) based on less strength than would normally be required to make the bid
 
n
4. a person who is sensitive to parapsychological forces or influences
 
[C19: from Greek psukhikos  of the soul or life]


Nothing to be afraid of there. It's amazing how clear things can get once we get the mind out of the way. All I needed to do to release myself from the past was to inform my current self of the truth. Yay. I'm still not exactly sure what my business cards will say but at least I'm not holding on to a false definition anymore.

No comments: